staab Architekten

Alte Pinakothek Munich
Opening of the Historic East Entrance

March – November 2005

The Old Pinakothek, the home of the oldest and most important painting collections in the world containing European masterpieces from the 14th to the end of the 18th century, was built from 1826 to 1836 by Leo von Klenze on the orders of King Ludwig I., and after heavy damage in the Second World War it was rebuilt from 1952 to 1957 by Hans Döllgast.
The current urban development, with the construction of the new modern art museum “Pinakothek der Moderne”, the future “Sammlung Brandhorst” and the resulting change in the flow of visitors from the east, led to a wish for a second entrance to the Alte Pinakothek. The reopened portal in the east wing, which was the main entrance until it was destroyed in the war, now leads into a new foyer which provides access to the temporary exhibition rooms on the ground floor. The whole of the new entrance foyer – a large room which was used for exhibitions - acts as an entrance porch to keep out the wind, and it is sealed from the climate of the adjoining exhibition rooms by two new doors. The new entrance area contains new furnishing elements for the ticket desk and cloakroom, and in conjunction with the three coconut velvet islands in the old wood flooring they sub-divide the room. The cube-shaped furnishings with their fishbone-pattern wood veneer are clad with acrylic glass panels in the areas used by the visitors – the ticket office, umbrella stand and bench seat – and lit from the rear. Because of the transparent glazed panel door in the eastern portal and the windows, these illuminated elements can also be seen from outside the building.

Survey 2005

Client Freistaat Bayern

Occupants Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlung

Start of planning – completion 2005 – 2005

For performance phases 1 – 8

Total costs €390,000

Usable floor area 480 sqm

Design team Juergen Rustler (project management), Patric Eckstein | Aichner Kazzer Architekten, München (Site supervision)

Ronald Bonss © MSU Museen erleben GmbH

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten


© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Marcus Ebener

© Marcus Ebener

© Staab Architekten

© Marcus Ebener

© Staab Architekten

© Thomas Ott


© Staab Architekten

© Marcus Ebener

© Staab Architekten

© Jens Achtermann

© Staab Architekten

© Stefan Müller

© Marcus Ebener

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Werner Huthmacher

© Staab Architekten

© Marcus Ebener

© Marcus Ebener

© Jens Achtermann

© Marcus Ebener

© Staab Architekten

© Werner Huthmacher

© Werner Huthmacher

© Werner Huthmacher

© Werner Huthmacher

© Werner Huthmacher

© Staab Architekten

© Marcus Ebener

© Marcus Ebener

© Simon Kelly

© Christian Richters

© Jens Achtermann

© Werner Huthmacher

© Werner Huthmacher

© Stefan Meyer

© Werner Huthmacher

© Mila Hacke

© Werner Huthmacher

© Ivan Nemec

© Werner Huthmacher

© Franz Wimmer

© Georg Aerni

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten

© Staab Architekten